Over 600 pupils attend this school, which has a separate sports facility, two annexes, an upper school and a lower school. The school recently joined the CVC (Cynon Valley Consortium), which allows the sixth form to commute to other schools for lessons. The headmaster is Ian Machin.
The school has recently opened its new 'Dare Valley Sports Hall' for use by both the public (after school hours) and the pupils of the school.
The school is the successor to the former Aberdare Boys' Grammar School, founded in 1896 and closed in 1978.