Aberbran translates from Welsh to English as: mouth of the river crow. Aber meaning mouth of a river and Bran meaning crow. Two rivers run through Aberbran, it is where the Bran comes to an end and meets the Usk.
For such a small settlement, Aberbran’s economy in the past has boasted of having a railway station and a flour mill, both were closed in the 1950’s. The railway station was shut down when the Western Region of British Railways closed the Neath and Brecon railway line due to a lack of passenger usage. The flour mills closure was a bit more dramatic; after the miller got caught up in the machinery and was accidently was killed. The mill has now been converted into a house. Now Aberbran consists of around 15 houses and two farms which both offer B & B and caravan & campsite parks. The settlement also has a post and telephone box and a bus stop where the bus goes through twice a day. One of the farms, Aberbran Fawr also has a successful fruit PYO business, which is well known in the Brecon area. There is also a third caravan park that is owned by the Caravan Club, which is located where the old train station was. The sight opened in 1967 and last year celebrated its 40th anniversary of being in business. The settlement is a well known in the area for its bridge over the river Usk which is a recognised starting point for canoeists and fishermen. There are also two other bridges that go over the river Bran.
The main occupation of the population consists of commuters working outside Aberbran mainly in the closest town of Brecon.