Aberavon Green Stars RFC

Aberavon Green Stars RFC

Aberavon Green Stars Rugby Football Club is a Welsh rugby union team based in Aberavon, Wales, UK. The club is a member of the Welsh Rugby Union and is a feeder club for the Ospreys. The club was formed by an Irish community and to this day the team keeps a visible and purposeful connection to their Irish roots, seen in the club's name, club house, badge and nickname, The Fighting Irish.

Early years

The Green Stars owe their formation to the Irish community near Aberavon Beach and although publications such as Field of Praise state the club was formed as St Joseph's the club strongly deny this. The club is believed to have started out as the Aberavon Green Stars, but changed their name to St Joseph's during the 1908/09 season. During the 1920s the team began a friendly Christmas day fixture, a common Welsh club tradition, against Taibach RFC.

Post 1945

Like all Welsh clubs, Aberavon Green Stars disbanded during the Second World War, but in 1946 reformed as Port Talbot Cyms RFC. In 1953 the team reclaimed the name Aberavon Green Stars.

Club Badge

The Green Stars badge is a shield divided into four quarters each representing a link to Welsh or Irish culture. The two Irish quarters hold a shamrock and an Irish harp. The two Welsh quarters hold the Welsh red dragon and the Prince of Wales's feathers.

Club honours

References

Search another word or see Aberavon Green Stars RFCon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature