The church of Abele is located on French territory, but the services are organized by the Diocese Brugge. The church-fabric of Watou and the local authorities of Boeschepe are responsible for its maintenance.
Abele used to be an import border crossing. In 1713, a tollhouse was set up, but it disappeared during the French Revolution. The old Belgian customs office was renovated en now serves as retro-café with a small exhibition.
Master of his craft no longer unknown: Architect Julian Abele's remarkable story finally recognized, but disputed
Feb 11, 2003; Goss, Scott Philadelphia Tribune, The 02-11-2003 History can be a funny thing.What is commonly accepted as historical fact often...