The Garcia was acquired from the United States Navy, with which she had served as the USS Braine since her commissioning on 11 May, 1943. She participated both in World War II and the Cold War for the United States.
The Argentine Navy took possession of ex-Braine on 17 August 1971, and renamed her ARA Almirante Domecq Garcia (D23), after Admiral Manuel Domecq Garcia. She was commissioned at Treasure Island, California, in a ceremony attended by Admiral Garcia’s daughter, Mrs. Eugenia Domecq Garcia de Forn. Commander Mario Eduaro Olmas assumed command and raised the flag of the Republic of Argentina.
On 30 November 1982 the ship's flag was lowered. She had sailed 123,000 miles under the flag of the Republic of Argentina. She was sunk as a target on 7 October 1983 by the combined action of an Exocet seaborne missile and a submarine's torpedo.