ANEK Lines is a shipping company. It was originally created with the help of shareholders who were inhabitants of Crete. They endeavoured for a means of transportation which was their own and connected them with the rest of Greece. Cretan people looked for their own vessels to sail into their own sea. In the beginning it looked as just another great vision but everybody contributed to the cause.
- 1967 April 10th, ANEK LINES was founded with its head offices located at Chania
- 1970 The company's first F/B vessels Kydon started servicing the route Piraeus - Chania
- 1973 The F/B's Candia and Rethymno started servicing the route Piraeus -Iraklion
- 1978 The F/B Kriti started servicing the route Piraeus-Chania
- 1987 The F/B "APTERA" started servicing the route Piraeus-Chania
- 1989 The F/B's Lato & Lissos started servicing the route Patras-Ancona.
- 1992 The F/B El Venizelos started servicing the route Greece-Italy. F/B Talos started servicing the route Patras-Trieste.
- 1997 The F/B's Kriti I and Kriti II started servicing the route Patras-Ancona
- 1998 Share-capital increase and Initial public offering for the company's stocks into the Athens Stock Exchange
- 1999 The company's stocks started trading on the Athens Stock Exchange on 21/01/1999
- The F/B Sofokles V was bought and started servicing the route Patras-Trieste.
- ANEK LINES purchases 50% of the share-capital of LANE, with the assignment of the F/B Talos.
- ANEK LINES and RETHYMNIAKI merger. ANEK LINES includes the F/B Prevelis and F/B Arkadi in its fleet.
- ANEK LINES buys 16,5% of the share-capital of NEL
- ANEK LINES ITALIA s.r.l.was founded. ANEK LINES holds 51% of its shares
- ANEN was founded. ANEK LINES holds 20% of its shares
- 2000 The F/B Lefka Ori was purchased, fully renovated and started servicing the route Patras-Ancona.
- ANEK LINES buys 41,9% of the share-capital of DANE
- ANEK LINES buys 50% of the share-capital of ETANAP
- ANEK LINES buys 62 % of the share-capital of LEFKA ORI A.B.E.E.
- Contract signed with the Norwegian shipyard Fosen Mek Shipyard for the shipbuilding of two newbuildings with delivery dates October 2000 & May 2001 with an option for two more.
- Delivery of the newly constructed Olympic Champion servicing the route Patra - Ancona which completes the route Igoumenitsa - Ancona in 15 hours.
- ANEK LINES increases its share-capital (25% = 9,5 Billion Drachmas / 27,88 million EURO's
- The F/B's Candia and Rethymno are sold
- ANEK LINES increases it's share-capital in NEL to 19,05%
- 2001 Established online connections to the international booking systems START, MERLIN, AMADEUS and SIGMA
- Delivery of the second newly constructed F/B Hellenic Spirit servicing along with the F/B Olympic Champion the route Patra - Igoumenitsa - Ancona reducing the travelling time from Igoumenitsa - Ancona to 15 hours.
- 2005 The F/B Aptera was sold
- F/B Elyros
- F/B Eleftherios Venizelos
- F/B Olympic Champion
- F/B Hellenic Spirit
- F/B Lefka Ori
- F/B Sophokles V
- F/B Lato
- F/B Kriti I
- F/B Kriti II
- F/B Lissos
- F/B Prevelis
Companies that are affiliates of ANEK Lines (larger than 10%) are outlined below.