USS Mimosa (AN-26/YN-21)
was an Aloe-class net laying ship
which was assigned to serve the U.S. Navy
during World War II
with her protective anti-submarine
Built in Cleveland, Ohio
(YN 21) was laid down 15 October 1940
by American Shipbuilding Company
, Cleveland, Ohio
; launched 15 March 1941
; sponsored by Miss Alin Woehrman; and placed in service 28 October 1941
, Lt. W. L. Freeburn in command.
World War service
East coast operations
Exiting the Great Lakes
via the Welland Canal
and the St. Lawrence River
proceeded by short sailings down the U.S. East Coast
. At the end of the year, with the Nation now at war, she steamed from Jacksonville, Florida
, to bolster the defenses of the high priority Panama Canal
For over 2 years she maintained the net defenses at Coco Solo, Panama Canal Zone, and also installed submarine nets at Trujillo Bay, Honduras; Port Limon, Costa Rica; and Talora Bay, Peru. Mimosa commissioned 10 December 1942.
In January 1944, 1-1⁄2 years after she herself had escaped a torpedo attack, Mimosa gave witness to the effectiveness with which the Navy’s antisubmarine program had checked the U-boat menace when she assisted in removing the nets along the Costa Rican and Honduran coasts. During this duty, the vessel was redesignated AN-26 on 20 January.
Pacific Ocean operations
Transiting the canal 21 April
, she sailed for the Mariana Islands
, arriving 20 June
in the midst of the Battle for Saipan
. First removing the Japanese
defensive nets and wrecked ships, Mimosa
labored until 9 September
helping to install a new net system for harbors on Saipan
The following year on 2 September as the war ended on Missouri’s deck, Mimosa began removing the 6-1⁄2 miles of nets she had been tending. The job complete, she sailed 26 October for San Pedro, California, arriving 27 November.
Following alterations, she departed San Pedro, California
, for Astoria, Oregon
, 21 June 1946
with Teak (AN 35)
in tow. Two months later Mimosa
was herself towed from Portland, Oregon
, to Vancouver, Washington
, for inactivation. She decommissioned 27 September 1946
and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet
On 13 July 1961 she was turned over to the U.S. Maritime Commission at Olympia, Washington, and entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet there. She was eventually scrapped, but the date is unknown.
Honors and awards
(AN 26) received two battle stars
for World War II service.