AMEC plc is a British company, headquartered in London. It carries out high-value consultancy, engineering and project management services for the oil and gas, mining, power generation, nuclear, process and water industries. It is a member of the FTSE 100 Index after being promoted on the 20 December 2007 when ICI went private.
Speculation on the meaning of the name has led to many questions being posed to founding management. The widely understood meaning is A Managerial & Engineering Company.
In 1996, AMEC bought a 46% stake in Spie Batignolles and later went on to exercise an option to buy the other 54%.
In 2000, AMEC bought Ogden Environmental & Energy Services and AGRA, Inc., a North American engineering and services company. In 2004, AMEC was awarded a contract to assist in the rebuilding of Iraq, as part of a joint venture with Fluor Corp.. In 2005, AMEC acquired UK-based NNC, a large nuclear consulting company and its subsidiaries, including Ontario-based Nuclear Safety Solutions ('NSS'), the nuclear safety division of OPG, which was spun-off when OPG was privatised. In 2006, AMEC sold the Paris-based Spie Batignolles to a private equity company. In 2007, AMEC sold its construction arm to Morgan Sindall. In 2008, AMEC sold its internal plant hire division to Speedy Hire. Also in 2008, AMEC bought project services company Rider Hunt International.
The Natural Resources business carries out oil and gas services, oil project management and a modest amount of mining services. The Company has had extensive involvement in North Sea oil rig drilling and production platform design and fabrication. Examples of international projects include contracts to provide oil services to the Kuwait National Petroleum Company and to BP's Azerbaijan international operating company.
The Power and Process business designs and delivers infrastructure for companies operating in the power generation and nuclear sectors. It is currently undertaking various projects to improve the gas and electricity infrastructure in the UK. It has also recently won a contract to restart two nuclear reactors for Bruce Power. It has also delivered electricity contracts in joint venture with Fluor in Iraq and is currently involved in a consortium which is active cleaning up Sellafield.
The Earth & Environmental business provides geological and environmental services.
The Investments business is now solely involved in wind energy schemes.