|Laid down:||22 September 1944|
|Launched:||20 October 1944|
|Commissioned:||27 October 1944|
|Battle Stars:||1 for World War II|
|Reclassified:||AMCU-28, 7March 1952; MHC-28, 7 February 1953|
|Struck:||1 January 1960|
|Fate:||Sold for scrap, 18 May 1960|
|Class:||LCI(L)-351 Class Landing Craft, Infantry (Large) / AMCU-7 Class Coastal Minesweeper (Underwater Locator)|
|Beam:||23 ft 3 in|
|Complement:||Two officers, 21 enlisted|
|Armament:||Four single 20 mm guns one forward, one amidship, two aft, later added two .50 cal. machine guns|
|Propulsion:||Two sets of four General Motors diesel engines, 4 per shaft, 1,600 bhp, Twin variable pitch propellers|
The USS Longspur (AMCU-28) was initially an / AMCU-7 Class Coastal Minesweeper (Underwater Locator): Laid down, 22 September 1944 by the New Jersey Shipbuilding Co., Barber, New Jersey; Launched, 20 October 1944; Commissioned USS LCI(L)-884, 27 October 1944; Decommissioned, 24 March 1947; Reclassified a Landing Ship, Infantry (Large), LSIL-844, 28 February 1949; Named Longspur and reclassified as a Coastal Minesweeper (Underwater Locator), AMCU-28, 7 March 1952; Conversion to AMCU-28 began, 15 November 1953 at the Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina; Conversion completed, 15 May 1954; Recommissioned in June 1952; Reclassified as a Coastal Minehunter, MHC-28, 7 February 1953.
After shakedown LCI(L)-884 departed Norfolk, Virginia, 25 November, steamed through the Panama Canal. and arrived San Diego, California, 20 December. Following additional training off the west coast, the landing craft sailed 6 March 1945 for the Marianas, arriving Guam 8 April. Two weeks later she was en route to Okinawa, where U.S. Forces were already engaged in the most extensive campaign of the Pacific war.
Upon her arrival 28 April LCI(L)-884 was assigned mail delivery and smoke station duty for large ships operating off Okinawa. She remained in the vicinity for the rest of the war, playing a part for the fleet in aiding it against the Japanese Empire.
After the war she operated as a mine destruction vessel out of Nagasaki and Sasebo, remaining in Japan until December. Early in 1946, LCI(L)-884 returned to the United States and decommissioned 24 March 1947, joining the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Florida. She was reclassified LSI(L)-884, 28 February 1949.
LSI(L)-884 was named and redesignated Longspur (AMCU-28) 7 March 1952. Recommissioned in June 1952, Longspur was assigned to the 6th Naval District for harbor defense. Reclassified MHC-28 on 7 February 1953, she continued operations out of Charleston, South Carolina, until 1 January 1954.
Decommissioned the first of the year, she joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Charleston, South Carolina. Struck 1 January 1960, Longspur was sold to Mills Marine Co., 18 May 1960 and was towed away for scrap 22 June 1960.