The building that would become Wessex Studios was built in 1881 as a church hall of St. Augustine's Church, located in Highbury, London. Like other buildings of the Victorian era, it featured Gothic design.
In the 1960s, the Thompson family converted the church hall into a recording studio. They named it Wessex because their previous recording studio had been located in what was historically the kingdom of Wessex. George Martin, producer of The Beatles, bought the building in 1965. In 1975, Chrysalis bought Wessex Studios and Martin's AIR Studios; Martin became a director of the company. In 2003, Neptune Group bought the building and later converted it into a residential development known as "The Recording Studio", comprising eight apartments and a townhouse.