The 9th Marine Aircraft Wing was an aviation unit of the United States Marine Corps based at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina. They were activated during World War II as a training unit for Marine Aviation personnel headed to the Pacific Theater.
Train, equip and prepare Marine aviation units for combat
- Marine Aircraft Groups MAG-33, MAG-34, MAG-35, MAG-51, MAG-52, MAG-53, MAG-62, MAG-91, MAG-92, MAG-93, MAG-94
- Marine Corps Auxiliary Air Fields: Atlantic, Bogue, New River, Oak Grove, Kinston and Congaree.
- Outlying Air Fields: New Bern, Greeneville
Activated on April 1
the 9th MAW replaced the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing
in the role of training East Coast
units for combat. They were responsible for administering all of the airfields in the Cherry Point area. In late 1944, 9th MAW was almost disbanded in favor of a Marine Air Training Command, East Coast
but that idea was never acted upon. The Wing was deactivated in March 1946 when the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
returned to the States and assumed control of Marine aviation units on the East Coast.