was a common year starting on Monday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar
- January 27 — Nerva is succeeded by Trajan.
- Trajan is the first Roman Emperor born in a Roman province (Italica, near Seville). A brilliant soldier and administrator, he enters Rome without ceremony, and wins over the public. Continuing the policies of Augustus, Vespasian and Nerva, he restores the Senate to its full status in the government. He has a specific vision of the Empire, and keeps a close watch on finances. Taxes, without any increase, are sufficient during his reign to pay the considerable costs of the budget.
- The informers used by Domitian to support his tyranny are expelled from Rome.
- In order to maintain the Port of Alexandria, Trajan reopens the canal between the Nile and the Red Sea.
- Carrying out an idea of Nerva's, Trajan begins a form of state welfare aimed at assuring that poor children are fed and taken care of.
Arts and Sciences