The 73rd Academy Awards
ceremony was the last to take place at the Los Angeles Shrine Auditorium
. It was hosted by first-time host Steve Martin
, who was nominated for an Emmy Award
for his presentation.
Notable films receiving Academy Awards at the ceremony included Gladiator, which received 12 nominations and 5 awards, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which received 10 nominations and 4 awards.
After a three-year streak of high ratings, the annual ceremony received very low ratings for the first time in four years. This is partially due to the popularity of CBS's Survivor which was number one on the Nielsen Weekly Ratings. The awards show dropped to second place for the first time in broadcasting history (42.93 million viewers; with 21.1% of households watching). The second time the ceremony placed below the top happened in 2003 when it was surpassed by American Idol.
The Icelandic pop singer Björk arrived in a gown with a fake swan draped across her. It caused an audience reaction that led to several comments by those participating in the Awards Ceremony (see Björk main page). She later used that dress on the cover of her 2001 record album Vespertine.
- "If you can't beat 'me, join 'you" - host Steve Martin commenting on never having received an Academy Award
- "You know, when you grow up in the suburbs of Sydney, or Auckland, or Newcastle, like Ridley or Jamie Bell, or the suburbs of anywhere, you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. But this moment is directly connected to those childhood imaginings. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible." - Russell Crowe on accepting his Best Actor award.
- "I have seen the film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but I asked myself: 'Why aren't there any Tigers or Dragons?' And then I realized why: They're crouching and hidden." - host Steve Martin.
- "To me, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sounds like a game that Siegfried & Roy might play on a dull Saturday night." - host Steve Martin.
- "I wanted to wear my swan tonight. But to me, they're so 'last year'." - host Steve Martin on Björk's swan dress.
- "To me, hosting the Academy Awards is like making love to a beautiful woman. I only get to do it when Billy Crystal is out of town." - host Steve Martin.
Winners & Nominees
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Gladiator - Russell Crowe
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Erin Brokovich - Julia Roberts
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Traffic - Benicio Del Toro
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Pollock - Marcia Gay Harden
Traffic - Steven Soderbergh
Best Original Screenplay
Almost Famous - Cameron Crowe
Best Adapted Screenplay
Traffic - Stephen Gaghan
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Peter Pau
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Timmy Yip
Best Costume Design
Gladiator - Janty Yates
Gladiator - Scott Millan , Bob Beemer and Ken Weston
Traffic - Stephen Mirrione
Best Sound Editing
U-571 - Jon Johnson
Best Effects, Visual Effects
Gladiator - John Nelson , Neil Corbould , Tim Burke and Rob Harvey
How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Rick Baker and Gail Rowell-Ryan
Best Music, Original Song
Wonder Boys - Bob Dylan for the song Things Have Changed
Best Music, Original Score
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Tan Dun
Best Short Film, Animated
Father and Daughter
Best Short Film, Live Action
Quiero ser (I want to be ...)
Best Documentary, Short Subjects
Best Documentary, Features
Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport
Best Foreign Language Film
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Taiwan
presented a list of those involved in films who had passed on in the previous year. Those featured included:
Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.
, Marie Windsor
, Beah Richards
, Edward Anhalt
, Billy Barty
, Julius Epstein
, George Montgomery
, Ring Lardner Jr.
, Steve Reeves
, Jean Peters
, Vittorio Gassman
, Jean-Pierre Aumont
, Dale Evans
, Gwen Verdon
, Stanley Kramer
, Jack Nitzsche
, Harold Nicholas
, Howard Koch
, Loretta Young
, Richard Farnsworth
, John Gielgud
, Jason Robards
, Claire Trevor
, Alec Guinness
, and Walter Matthau
Partial list of Presenters and Performers