The 310th Bomb Wing has gone through many reassignments, redesignations, inactivations, reactivations, and reattachments during its career in the Air Force. First it was a light bomb wing under the Air Corps Reserve during World War II, then inactivated in 1949. Reactivated as a medium bomb wing under Strategic Air Command during the Korean War, it was active until the end of the Vietnam War. Again activated in 1991, the 310 wing designation would go to a training and testing wing under Air Combat Command before being inactivated again. The lineage is now carried by the 310th Space Group.
The first unit to have the 310th Bomb Wing designation, the 310th Bombardment Wing (Light) [310BW(L)], was organized as an Air Corps Reserve unit on 19 February, 1947, and activated on July 10, 1947 at Tinker Air Field (now Tinker Air Force Base), Oklahoma. The wing flew A-26 Invaders until the unit deactivated 27 June 1949.
The second unit to have the 310th Bomb Wing designation is the 310th Bombardment Wing (Medium) [310 BW(M)]. The wing flew B-47 Stratojet bombers from 1956 to 1963, then transitioned to the B-52 Stratofortress for service in Vietnam. The 310 BW(M) was deactivated on 25 June, 1965.