The 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army, created in 1756 and becoming the 1st Battalion, The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment) in 1881.
The regiment was created as the 2nd Battalion, 11th Regiment of Foot in 1756, redesignated as the 64th Regiment of Foot in 1758, and took a county title as the 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot in 1782.
Following the defeat of British forces, the 64th sailed for Jamaica in 1782, returning to England in 1784. Three years later the regiment was stationed in Ireland, before sailing once more for the West Indies in 1793. Once again involved in conflict with France, the 64th Foot took part in the capture of Fort Bourbon and occupation of Martinique in 1794.
Within months the 64th had returned to the West Indies in a campaign of seizing islands held by French, Dutch and Danish troops. The expedition ended on the South American continent with the capture of Surinam in 1804.
The regiment moved to Barbados and then Canada in 1813, before moving to France in 1815 to form part of the army of occupation following the defeat of Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo. In 1816 they returned home for two years, before becoming part of the Gibraltar garrison until 1827, after which they spent seven years in Ireland.
In 1843 the regiment sailed from Halifax, and after suffering a shipwreck en route, arrived in England, where it carried out policing duties and recruitment for two years, before moving to Ireland.
The regiment was stationed in India from 1848, from where it took part in the Anglo-Persian War of 1856-57. Following the Persian campaign the 64th returned to fight in the Indian Mutiny, taking part in the Battles of Lucknow and Cawnpore.
On return from India in 1861, the regiment spent six years in England, moving to Malta in 1867, then Ireland in 1872. In 1874, line infantry battalions were linked in pairs, and the 64th formed a joint depot with the 98th (Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Foot at Limerick. The depot moved to Lichfield, Staffordshire in 1880. Up to 1881 the 64th was stationed in various parts of the United Kingdom, often performing police duties. The regiment returned to Ireland in 1879, based at Templemore, County Tipperary.
In 1909 the successor North Staffordshire Regiment was awarded two battle honours for the 64th Foot's actions in the eighteenth century: