The 48 Class are a diesel electric locomotive ordered by the New South Wales Government Railways from 1959. Once the most ubiquitous locomotive in New South Wales, the locomotives were built by A. E. Goodwin, based on Alco frames and prime movers, using General Electric (later AEI) electrical equipment. With 165 examples of the type built over 11 years, the 48 Class was a common sight on lines all over New South Wales. The South Australian Railways 830 class were of a very similar design.
The four batches are as follows:
Currently there are seven preserved locomotives, three of them in operational status:
Various members of the 48 Class have worn a total of six liveries over their 40 years of service. On delivery they wore the standard NSWGR Tuscan livery (to which some preserved locomotives have been restored), but since then have worn the State Rail Authority’s 'Candy' scheme, along with FreightCorp's plain blue, in which most locomotives remain. Some have gained Pacific National stickering.