and Scottish mythology
, the banshee
is a "fairy
woman" whose mournful wail heralds an imminent death.
The name is also used for supernatural characters in some role-playing games, particularly Dungeons & Dragons, God of War, and Fighting Fantasy, whose scream serves as a deadly weapon.
Banshee may also refer to:
- Banshee (comics), a superhero in Marvel Comics
- Banshee (Discworld), a variant on the folkloric banshee
- Banshee, the initial name for the "Mantis" rollercoaster at Cedar Point Amusement Park
- ACA Banshee, Civil Defense Siren made by Alerting Communicators of America.
- Silver Banshee, a character in DC Comics
- Banshees, in the Darkover universe created by Marion Zimmer Bradley, are large, blind, flightless, carnivorous birds that live in the mountains of the planet Darkover.
In computer and video game industries:
- Banshee, the main air assault vehicle of the Covenant from Halo (video game series)
- Banshee (video game), an Amiga shoot-em-up computer game
- Banshee light fighter, a vehicle from the video game Wing Commander
- "Banshee", a Grendel/Shee hybrid in the game Creatures
- "Banshee", a car from the video game series Grand Theft Auto
- A banshee-class gunship, a ground assault aircraft in the StarCraft series.
- A fighter aircraft used by the Brotherhood of Nod in Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun
- Banshee (music player), a GTK+ based music player
- Voodoo Banshee, a computer video card by 3Dfx
- GameBanshee, part of UGO Networks, a website providing coverage of online media in entertainment.