was a common year starting on Thursday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar
- Galba is a Roman Consul.
- Tiberius founds a credit bank in Rome.
- A financial crisis hits Rome, due to poorly chosen fiscal policies. Land values plummet, and credit is increased. These actions lead to a lack of cash, a crisis of confidence, and much land speculation. The primary victims are senators, knights and the wealthy. Many aristocratic families are ruined.
- Gaius Asinius Gallus, widower of Vipsania Agrippina and potential lover of Agrippina the elder (starvation)
- Agrippina the Elder, wife of Germanicus (suicide by starvation)
- Nero Caesar (not to be confused with the Emperor Nero Caesar), son of Germanicus and Agrippina the Elder, adoptive grandson of Tiberius (starvation)
- Drusus Caesar, son of Germanicus and Agrippina the Elder, adoptive son of Tiberius (starvation)
- Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, senator, consul 6, father-in-law of Drusus Caesar (natural causes)
- Gongsun Shu, Chinese warlord of Sichuan province who opposed the restored Han Dynasty