On 19 March 1957 at Donaldson AFB, South Carolina, when the 1st Aeromedical Evacuation Group was activated under the USAF Tactical Medical Center and included the 21st and 22d Aeromedical Evacuation Squadrons. On 30 June 1957, the USAF Tactical Medical Center and subordinate units were assigned to the 464th Troop Carrier Wing and relocated to Pope AFB, North Carolina. The USAF Tactical Medical Center was deactivated on 16 September 1957, while at the same time, the 22d Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron was reassigned to Sewart AFB, Tennessee.
On 1 July 1970, the 22d Aeromedical Evacuation Squadrons was deactivated. All personnel and equipment were reassigned to the 1st Aeromedical Evacuation Group.