The 205th (Tiger) Battalion, CEF
was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force
during the First World War. Established in late 1915, it was stationed in Hamilton, Ontario
and began recruiting toward the end of February 1916. In late 1916, the unit was redesignated a machine gun battalion, but a few months later, in April 1917, the 205th (Tiger) Battalion was broken up for drafts. One company (250 men) was transferred to the 164th (Halton and Dufferin) Battalion, CEF
, which was recruiting in nearby Halton County
. The unit continued to exist as the 205th Machine Gun Depot and then the 205th Machine Gun School.
The 205th (Tiger) Battalion, CEF, also referred to as the Sportsmen's Battalion, was named in honour of the Hamilton Tigers athletic club, one of the oldest athletic clubs in the city at that time. Many of the early recruits were local athletes, the most notable being the Olympic medalist Bobby Kerr.