1st Infantry Division (United States)

The 1st Infantry Division of the United States Army —nicknamed “The Big Red One” after its shoulder patch; and also nicknamed "The Fighting First"—is the oldest division in the United States Army, and has seen continuous service since its organization in 1917.


World War I


  1. Maj. Gen. William L. Sibert (June 18, 1917)
  2. Maj. Gen. Robert Lee Bullard (December 14, 1917)
  3. Brig. Gen. Beaumond B. Buck (April 5, 1918)
  4. Maj. Gen. Robert Lee Bullard (April 13, 1918)
  5. Maj. Gen. Charles Pelot Summerall II (July 15, 1918)
  6. Brig. Gen. F. E. Bamford (October 12, 1918)
  7. Brig. Gen. Frank Parker (October 18, 1918)
  8. Maj. Gen. E. F. McGlachlin, Jr. (November 21, 1918)


The First Expeditionary Division, later designated the 1st Infantry Division, was constituted on May 24, 1917 in the Regular Army, and was organized on June 8, 1917 at Fort Jay, on Governors Island in New York harbor under the command of Brigadier General William L. Sibert, from Army units then in service on the U.S.-Mexico border and at various Army posts throughout the United States. The original Table of Organization and Equipment included two organic infantry brigades of two infantry regiments each, one engineer battalion; one signal battalion; one trench mortar battery; one field artillery brigade of three field artillery regiments; one aero squadron; and a full division train. The total authorized strength of this TO&E was 18,919 officers and enlisted men. George S. Patton, who served as the first Headquarters commandant for the American Expeditionary Force oversaw much of the arrangements for the movement of the 1st Division to France, and their organization in-country.

The first units sailed from New York City and Hoboken, New Jersey on June 14, 1917. Throughout the remainder of the year, the rest of the division followed, landing at St. Nazaire, France, and Liverpool, England. After a brief stay in rest camps, the troops in England proceeded to France, landing at Le Havre. The last unit arrived in St. Nazaire December 22. Upon arrival in France, the division, less its artillery, was assembled in the First (Gondrecourt) training area, and the artillery was at Le Valdahon.

On the 4th of July, the 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry (2-16), paraded through the streets of Paris to bolster the sagging French spirits. At Lafayette's tomb, one of General John J. Pershing's staff uttered the famous words, "Lafayette, we are here!" Two days later, July 6, Headquarters, First Expeditionary Division was redesignated as Headquarters, First Division.

On August 8, 1917, the 1st Division adopted the Square Table of organization and Equipment, which included two organic infantry brigades of two infantry regiments each; one engineer regiment; one signal battalion; one machine gun battalion; one field artillery brigade of three field artillery regiments, and a complete division train. The total authorized strength of this new TO&E was 27,120 officers and enlisted men.

On the morning of October 23, the first American shell of the war was sent screaming toward German lines by a First Division artillery unit. Two days later, the 2-16th Infantry suffered the first American casualties of the war.

By April 1918, the Germans had pushed to within of Paris. In reaction to this thrust, the Big Red One moved into the Picardy Sector to bolster the exhausted French First Army. To the division's front lay the small village of Cantigny, situated on the high ground overlooking a forested countryside. The 28th Infantry Regiment attacked the town, and within 45 minutes captured it along with 250 German soldiers. It was the first American victory of the war. The 28th was thereafter named the "Black Lions of Cantigny".

Soissons was taken by the First Division in July 1918. The Soissons victory was costly—700 men were killed or wounded. (One of them, Private Francis Lupo of Cincinnati, was missing in action for 85 years, until his remains were discovered on the former battlefield in 2003). The First Infantry helped to clear the St. Mihiel salient by fighting continuously from September 11–13, 1918. The last major World War I battle was fought in the Meuse-Argonne Forest. The division advanced seven kilometers and defeated, in whole or part, eight German divisions. The war was over when the Armistice was signed. The division was at Sedan, the farthest American penetration of the war. The division was the first to cross the Rhine into occupied Germany.

By the end of the war, the division had suffered 22,668 casualties and boasted five Medal of Honor recipients.

The division's famous dog-mascot was a cairn terrier known as Rags. Rags was adopted by the division in 1917 and remained its mascot until his death in 1931. Rags achieved great notoriety and achieved celebrity war dog fame, after saving many lives in the crucial Argonne Campaign by delivering a vital message despite being bombed and gassed.

  • Casualties
  • 4,411 Killed in Action
  • 17,201 Wounded in Action
  • 1,056 Missing or Died of Wounds

Interwar period

The 1st Division returned to the Continental U.S. in September 1919, demobilized its war-time TO&E at Camp Zachary Taylor at Louisville, Kentucky, and then returned to New York, with its headquarters located at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn.

On October 7, 1920, the 1st Division organized under the peacetime TO&E, which included two organic infantry brigades of two infantry regiments each, one engineer regiment; one observation squadron; one field artillery brigade of two Field Artillery Regiments; one Medical Regiment; one Division Quartermaster Train; and a Special Troops Command replacing the remainder of the division Train. The total authorized strength of this TO&E was 19,385. 1st Division was one of three Infantry Divisions and one Cavalry Division that was authorized to remain at full peacetime strength, and it was the only Regular Army division assigned to the Second Corps Area, which also included the 27th Infantry Division of the New York National Guard; the 44th Infantry Division of the New Jersey, New York, and Delaware National Guards; the 21st Cavalry Division of the New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and New Jersey National Guards; and the 77th, 78th, and 98th Infantry Divisions and the 61st Cavalry Division of the Organized Reserves. This was the organization that existed in the Second Corps Area for the duration of the peace period.

1st Division adopted a new peacetime TO&E in preparation for war on January 8, 1940, which included three infantry regiments, one military police company, one engineer battalion, one signal company, one Light Field Artillery Regiment of three Field Artillery Battalions and one Medium Field Artillery Regiment of two Field Artillery Battalions, one Medical Battalion, and one Quartermaster Battalion. The authorized strength of this TO&E was 9,057 officers and enlisted men. 1st Infantry Division reorganized again on November 1, 1940 to a new TO&E, which added a Reconnaissance Troop, and organized the two Field Artillery Regiments into a Division Artillery Command, and beefed up the strength to a total Authorized Strength of 15,245 officers and enlisted men.

World War II


  1. Maj. Gen. Donald Cubbison (February 1941)
  2. Maj. Gen. Terry de la Mesa Allen, Sr. (August 2, 1942)
  3. Maj. Gen. Clarence R. Huebner (July 1943)
  4. Maj. Gen. Clift Andrus (December 1944)
  5. Maj. Gen. Jonathan A. Towns (August 1946)


1st Division started preparing for World War II by moving to Fort Benning on November 19, 1939, and ran its personnel through the Infantry School. It then moved to the Sabine Parish, Louisiana area on May 11, 1940 to participate in the Louisiana Maneuvers. They then returned to Fort Hamilton on June 5, 1940. The headquarters was then transferred to Fort Devens at Ayer, Massachusetts February 4, 1941, and then participated in the October and November maneuvers in the Carolinas, with a garrison at Samarcand, North Carolina on October 16, 1941.

1st Division then returned to Fort Devens on December 6, 1941, which is where they were when Pearl Harbor was attacked. 1st Division then deployed to Camp Blanding at Starke, Florida on February 21, 1942, which is where they were when 1st Division was officially re-designated at Headquarters, 1st Infantry Division on August 1, 1942. At this time, 1st ID reorganized under the new Wartime TO&E, which increased the Authorized Strength to 15,514 Officers and Enlisted men. This TO&E resulted in the following Order of Battle:

Headquarters, 1st Infantry Division
Headquarters & Military Police Company
1st Cavalry Reconnaissance Company
1st Signal Company
16th Infantry Regiment
18th Infantry Regiment
26th Infantry Regiment
HHB, 1st Division Artillery
5th Field Artillery Battalion
7th Field Artillery Battalion
32nd Field Artillery Battalion
33rd Field Artillery Battalion
1st Infantry Division Artillery Band
1st Engineer Battalion
1st Medical Battalion
1st Quartermaster Battalion

Deployment to War

In World War II, the division landed in Oran, Algeria on November 8, 1942, as part of Operation Torch. Elements then took part in combat at Maktar, Medjez el Bab, Kasserine Pass, Gafsa, El Guettar, Béja, and Mateur, from January 21, 1943 – May 9, 1943, helping secure Tunisia.

In July, 1943, it took part in Operation Husky in Sicily under the command of Major General Terry de la Mesa Allen. It was assigned to the II Corps. It was in Sicily that the 1st saw heavy action when making amphibious landings on Gela, the most fortified German beach head positions. The 1st then moved up through the center of Sicily, slogging it out through the mountains along with the 45th Infantry Division. In these mountains, the division saw some of the heaviest fighting in the entire Sicilian campaign at Troina; some units losing more than half their strength in assaulting the mountain town. On August 7, 1943, command was assumed by Major General Clarence R. Huebner.

When that campaign was over, the division returned to England to prepare for the Normandy invasion. It was one of the two divisions that stormed Omaha Beach on D-Day, with some of the division's units suffering 30 percent casualties in the first hour of the assault, and secured Formigny and Caumont in the beachhead by the end of the day. The division followed up the St. Lo break-through with an attack on Marigny, July 27, 1944, and then drove across France in a continuous offensive, reaching the German border at Aachen in September. The division laid siege to Aachen, taking the city after a direct assault on October 21, 1944. The First then attacked east of Aachen through Hurtgen Forest, driving to the Roer, and moved to a rest area December 7, 1944 for its first real rest in 6 months' combat, when the Wacht Am Rhein offensive (commonly called the Battle of the Bulge) suddenly broke loose on December 16, 1944. The division raced to the Ardennes, and fighting continuously from December 17, 1944 to January 28, 1945, helped blunt and turn back the German offensive. Thereupon, the division attacked and again breached the Siegfried Line, fought across the Roer, February 23, 1945, and drove on to the Rhine, crossing at the Remagen bridgehead, March 15–16. The division broke out of the bridgehead, took part in the encirclement of the Ruhr Pocket, captured Paderborn, pushed through the Harz Mountaiins, and was in Czechoslovakia, fighting at Kinsperk, Sangerberg, and Mnichov when the war in Europe ended. Sixteen members of the division were awarded the Medal of Honor.

  • Casualties
  • 3,616 Killed in Action
  • 15,208 Wounded in Action
  • 664 Died of Wounds

Assignments in the European Theater of Operations

  1. November 1, 1943: First Army.
  2. November 6, 1943: VII Corps.
  3. February 2, 1944: V Corps.
  4. July 14, 1944: First Army.
  5. July 15, 1944: VII Corps.
  6. August 1, 1944: VII Corps, First Army, 12th Army Group.
  7. December 16, 1944: V Corps.
  8. December 20, 1944: Attached, with the entire First Army, to the British 21st Army Group.
  9. January 26, 1945: XVIII Airborne Corps, First Army, 12th Army Group.
  10. February 12, 1945: III Corps.
  11. March 8, 1945: VII Corps.
  12. April 27, 1945: VIII Corps.
  13. April 30, 1945: V Corps.
  14. May 6, 1945: Third Army, 12th Army Group.
  15. In these tabulations, the army and higher headquarters to which the division is assigned or attached is not repeated when the division is assigned or attached to a different corps in the same army.
  16. On November 6, 1943, for example, the 1st Infantry Division was assigned to the VII Corps which was itself assigned to First Army; on August 1, 1944, the 12th Army Group became operational; and on May 6, 1945, the 1st Infantry Division left First Army for the first time during the operations on the Continent for reassignment to the Third Army.

Cold War

Korean War

During the Korean War, the Big Red One was assigned to occupation duty in Germany, while acting as a strategic deterrent against Soviet designs on Europe. 1st Infantry Division troops secured the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials and later transported seven convicted Nazi war criminals to Spandau Prison in Berlin.

In 1955 the division colors left Germany and were relocated to Fort Riley, Kansas.


1950's - 1960's

Following its return from Germany, 1st Infantry Division established headquarters at Ft. Riley, Kansas. Its troops reorganized and trained for war at Ft. Riley and at other posts such as Ft. Irwin, California, Little Creek, Virginia, and Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri. In 1962 and 1963, four 1st Infantry Division Pentomic Battle Groups (2nd Battle Group, 12th Infantry; 1st Battle Group, 13th Infantry; 1st Battle Group, 28th Infantry; & 2nd Battle Group, 26th Infantry) rotated, in turn, to West Berlin, Germany to augment U.S. Berlin Brigade during an international crisis initiated by construction of the Berlin Wall. These "Long Thrust Operations" were the most significant deployments conducted by 1st Infantry Division troops during the Cold War; placing Big Red One troops in confrontation with hostile communist forces.


The division fought in the Vietnam War from 1965 to 1970.


  1. Maj. Gen. Jonathan O. Seaman (Feb 1964)
  2. Maj. Gen. William E. DePuy (March 1966)
  3. Maj. Gen. John H. Hay, Jr. (January 1967)
  4. Maj. Gen. Keith L. Ware (Feb 1968)
  5. Maj. Gen. Orwin C. Talbott (September 1968)
  6. Maj. Gen. Albert E. Milloy (August 1969)


Arriving in July 1965, the division began combat operations within two weeks. By the end of 1965 the division had participated in three major operations: Hump, Bushmaster I and Bushmaster II, under the command of MG Jonathan O. Seaman.

In 1966, the division took part in Operation Marauder, Operation Crimp II, and Operation Rolling Stone, all in the early part of the year. In March, MG William E. DePuy took command. In June and July the division took part in the battles of Ap Tau O, Srok Dong and Minh Thanh Road. In November 1966, the division participated in Operation Attleboro.

1967 saw the 1st I.D. in Operation Cedar Falls, Operation Junction City, Operation Manhattan, and Operation Shenandoah II. MG John H. Hay assumed command in February. On October 17, 1967, the 1st I.D suffered heavy casualties at the Battle of Ong Thanh with 58 KIA.

1968 would see the division involved in the Tet Offensive, securing the massive Tan Son Nhut Air Base. In March, MG Keith L. Ware took command. That same month the division took part in Operation Quyet Thang (Resolve to Win), April would see the division participate in the largest operation in the Vietnam conflict, Operation Toan Thang (Certain Victory). On September 13, the division Commander, Maj. Gen. Ware, was killed in action when his command helicopter was shot down by hostile fire. MG Orwin C. Talbott moved up from his position of Assistant Division Commander to assume command of the division.

In the first half of 1969, The Big Red One conducted reconnaissance-in-force and ambush operations, including a multi-divisional operation, Atlas Wedge, and participated in the Battle of An Lộc. The last part of the year saw the division take part in "Dong Tien" (Progress Together) operations. These operations were intended to assist South Vietnamese forces to take a more active role in combat. In August, MG A. E. Milloy took command of the 1st I.D. while the division took part in battles along National Highway 13, known as "Thunder Road" to the end of the year.

In January 1970 it was announced that the division would return to Fort Riley. 11 members of the division were awarded the Medal of Honor.

  • Casualties
  • 6,146 Killed in Action
  • 16,019 Wounded in Action
  • 20 Prisoner of War

Modern Era

First Gulf War

The division, commanded by Major General Thomas G. Rhame, also participated in Operation Desert Storm. The division's two maneuver brigades from Ft. Riley were rounded out by the addition of two tank battalions (2-66 and 3-66 AR), an infantry battalion (1-41 IN), and a field artillery battalion (4-3 FA) from 2nd Armored Division (Forward) in Germany. It was responsible for the initial breach of the Iraqi defenses, consequently rolling over the Iraqi 26th Infantry Division and taking 2,600 prisoners of war. The Big Red One continued with the subsequent 260 kilometer assault on enemy-held territory over 100 hours, engaging eleven Iraqi divisions, destroying 550 enemy tanks, 480 armored personnel carriers and taking 11,400 prisoners. By the early morning of February 28, 1991, the division had taken position along the Highway of Death, preventing any Iraqi retreat. The division's 2nd Dagger Brigade, led by Colonel Anthony Moreno, was then tasked with securing town of Safwan, Iraq, which was to be the site for the permanent cease-fire negotioations.

There was also the “bulldozer assault”, wherein two brigades from the 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) used anti-mine plows mounted on tanks and combat earthmovers to bury Iraqi soldiers defending the fortified "Saddam Line." While approximately 2,000 of the troops surrendered, escaping burial, one newspaper story reported that the U.S. commanders estimated thousands of Iraqi soldiers had been buried alive during the two-day assault February 24-25, 191.

In 1996 the division colors were relocated to the German city of Würzburg.


2nd (Dagger) Brigade Combat Team deployed to Bosnia as part of IFOR2 / SFOR1 from October 1996 to April 1997. 2nd Brigade was replaced by element from 3rd Brigade and the division's aviation brigade. Elements of the division, to include personnel and units from the 2nd, 3rd and aviation brigades, served in Kosovo. During the Kosovo War three soldiers were captured by Serbian forces but were later released after peace talks.

Units of the 1st Infantry Division served in Kosovo for KFOR 1A and KFOR 1B from June 1999 to June 2000, then again for KFOR 4A and 4B from May 2002 to July 2003.

2003 Invasion of Iraq

The 1st (Devil) Brigade, 1st Infantry Division deployed from Fort Riley, Kansas in September 2003 to provide support to the 82nd Airborne Division in the city of Ramadi, Iraq. In February 2004, the Division deployed to Iraq, where it conducted a relief in place of the 4th Infantry Division, primarily in Salah ad-Din and Diyala provinces, with the Division headquarters being located on Forward Operating Base Danger, near Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit. Task Force Danger, as the Division was called during OIF2, also had a light infantry brigade from the 25th Infantry Division, another brigade the 30th Armored Brigade (Enhanced) (Separate) "Old Hickory" of the North Carolina National Guard, and the 264th Engineer Group of the Wisconsin Army National Guard. In September 2004, the 1st Brigade was replaced by elements from the 2nd Infantry Division in Ramadi and redeployed to Ft. Riley. In February 2005, the division was replaced by the 42d Infantry Division, New York National Guard, and elements of the 3rd Infantry Division and returned to its home in Germany.

1st Infantry Division Rebasing to CONUS

In July, 2006 the division was withdrawn from Germany back to Fort Riley in CONUS, leaving only 2nd (Dagger) Brigade in Schweinfurt, Germany until March 28, 2008 when the 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division reflagged as the 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division. So now three brigades are based at Fort Riley, Kan., with one brigade based out of Ft Hood, Texas.

2006 Deployment to Iraq

The 2nd (Dagger) Brigade of the 1ID was deployed to Iraq from mid-August 2006 (the 1-26IN BN and other elements making up Task Force 1-26) or late-September 2006 (the remainder of "Dagger's" units) until October - November 2007. The brigade's Armor battalion, 1st Battalion, 77th Armor, was deployed to Ramadi, while the 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry was in central Baghdad. The 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry was in the Adhamiya neighborhood, most notably at patrol base "Apache" where heavy casualties were taken. Many awards for service and valor were earned there. HQ and HQ company 2BCT, 1st ID, 9th Engineer BN, 299th Support Battalion and 57th Signal Company, were all (Dagger) units that served from Camp Liberty, a sprawling encampment of 30,000+ military and DoD civilians located just east of Baghdad International Airport (BIAP).

Elements from Fort Riley's 1st (Devil) Brigade deployed in the fall of 2006 to other area of operations in Iraq. Units include companies from the 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry; 1st Battalion, 34th Armor; 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery; 1st Engineer Battalion; and D Troop, 4th Cavalry.

Transition Team training mission

State-side training for the Military Transition Teams (MiTTs) is located at Fort Riley, Kansas. Training began June 1, 2006.

2007 Deployment to Iraq

In the fall of 2007, the Combat Aviation Brigade (Demon Brigade), 1st Infantry Division deployed to Iraq and was placed under the command of Multinational Division - North located at COB Spiecher. The majority of the CAB is stationed at COB Spiecher, with the 1st Squadron, 6th Cavalry Regiment and some supporting elements stationed at FOB Warrior.

Current Structure

1st Infantry Division consists of the following elements:


Campaign Participation Credit


  1. Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) for VIETNAM 1968
  2. Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) for SOUTHWEST ASIA
  3. Army Superior Unit Award for 1997
  4. French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II for KASSERINE
  5. French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II for NORMANDY
  6. French Croix de Guerre, World War II, Fourragere
  7. Belgian Fourragere 1940
  8. Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action at MONS
  9. Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action at EUPEN-MALMEDY
  10. Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm for VIETNAM 1965-1968
  11. Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal, First Class for VIETNAM 1965-1970

Commanding Generals

  • MG William L. Sibert Jun - Dec 1917
  • MG Robert L. Bullard Dec 1917 - Jul 1918
  • MG Charles P. Summerall Jul - Oct 1918
  • BG Frank Parker Oct - Nov 1918
  • MG Edward F. McGlachlin Nov 1918 - Sep 1919
  • MG Charles P. Summerall Oct 1919 - Jun 1921
  • MG David C. Shanks Jul - Nov 1921
  • MG Charles T. Menoher Nov 1921 - Jan 1922
  • MG Harry C. Hale Feb - Dec 1922
  • BG William S. Graves Dec 1922 - Jul 1925
  • BG Preston Brown Jul 1925 - Jan 1926
  • BG Frank Parker Jan - May 1926
  • BG Hugh A. Drum May 1926 - May 1927
  • MG Fox Conner May - Sep 1927
  • BG Hugh A. Drum Sep 1927 - Jan 1930
  • BG William P. Jackson Jan - Mar 1930
  • MG Briant H. Wells Mar - Sep 1930
  • BG Lucius R. Holbrook Oct 1930 - Nov 1935
  • BG Charles D. Roberts Nov 1935 - Feb 1936
  • MG Frank Parker Feb - Mar 1936
  • MG Stanley H. Ford Mar - Oct 1936
  • BG Perry L. Miles Oct 1936 - Oct 1937
  • COL William P. Ennis Nov - Dec 1937
  • BG Laurence Halstead Dec 1937 - Jan 1938
  • MG Walter C. Short Oct 1938 - Sep 1940
  • MG Karl Truesdell Oct - Dec 1940
  • MG Donald Cubbison Jan 1941 - May 1942
  • MG Terry Allen May 1942 - Aug 1943
  • MG Clarence R. Huebner Aug 1943 - Dec 1944
  • MG Clift Andrus Dec 1944 - May 1946
  • MG Frank W. Milburn Jun 1946 - May 1949
  • BG Ralph J. Canine May - Sep 1949
  • MG John E. Dahlquist Sep 1949 - Jul 1951
  • MG Thomas S. Timberman Jul 1951 - Dec 1952
  • MG Charles T. Lanham Jan 1953 - Jun 1954
  • MG Guy S. Meloy, Jr. Jun 1954 - Dec 1955
  • MG Willis S. Matthews Jan 1956 - Apr 1957
  • MG David H. Buchanan Apr 1957 - Oct 1958
  • BG Forrest Caraway Oct 1958 - Dec 1958

  • MG Harvey H. Fischer Dec 1958 - Jan 1960
  • BG John A. Seitz Jan 1960 - Feb 1960
  • MG Theodore W. Parker Feb 1960 - May 1961
  • BG John A. Berry, Jr. May 1961 - Jun 1961
  • BG William B. Kunzig Jul 1961 - Aug 1961
  • MG John F. Ruggles Aug 1961 - Jan 1963
  • MG Arthur W. Oberbeck Jan 1963 - Jan 1964
  • MG Jonathan O. Seaman Feb 1964 - Mar 1966
  • MG William E. DePuy Mar 1966 - Dec 1966
  • MG John H. Hay, Jr. Jan 1967 - Feb 1968
  • MG Keith L. Ware Feb - Sep 1968
  • MG Orwin C. Talbott Sep 1968 - Aug 1969
  • MG Albert E. Milloy Aug 1969 - Feb 1970
  • BG John Q. Henion Mar 1970 - Apr 1970
  • MG Robert R. Linvill Apr 1970 - Jan 1971
  • MG Edward M. Flanagan, Jr. Jan 1971 - Dec 1972
  • MG G. J. Duquemin Jan 1973 - Aug 1974
  • MG Marvin D. Fuller Aug 1974 - May 1976
  • MG Calvert P. Benedict May 1976 - May 1978
  • MG Phillip Kaplan May 1978 - Jul 1980
  • MG Edward A. Partain Jul 1980 - Dec 1982
  • MG Neal Creighton Dec 1982 - Jun 1984
  • MG Ronald L. Watts Jun 1984 - Apr 1986
  • MG Leonard P. Wishart III Apr 1986 - Jul 1988
  • MG Gordon R. Sullivan Jul 1988 - Jul 1989
  • MG Thomas Rhame Jul 1989 - Aug 1991
  • MG William W. Hartzog Aug 1991 - Jul 1993
  • MG Josue Robles, Jr. Jul 1993 - Jun 1994
  • MG Randolph W. House Jun 1994 - Feb 1996
  • MG Montgomery Meigs Mar 1996 - Jul 1997
  • MG David L. Grange Aug 1997 - Aug 1999
  • MG John P. Abizaid Aug 1999 - Sep 2000
  • MG Bantz J. Craddock Sep 2000 - Aug 2002
  • MG John R.S. Batiste Aug 2002 - June 2005
  • MG Kenneth W. Hunzeker June 2005 - Aug 2006
  • MG Carter F. Ham Aug 2006 - Aug 2007
  • MG Robert E. Durbin Jul 2007 - Present

See also



  • Rags, The Dog who went to war, Jack Rohan, Diggory Press, ISBN 978-1846853647

Bonded by Blood, Clayton Walk

External links

Search another word or see 1st_Infantry_Division_(United_States)on Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature