The year 1911 in literature involved some significant events and new books.
- January 24 - C. L. Moore, science fiction author
- February 8 - Elizabeth Bishop, poet, Pulitzer Prize winner (+ 1979)
- March 11 - Sir Fitzroy Maclean, Scottish diplomat, adventurer, writer and politician
- March 26 - Tennessee Williams, playwright
- April 8 - Emil Cioran, Romanian-born French philosopher and essayist (+ 1995)
- May 20 - Annie M. G. Schmidt, Dutch children's author
- June 6 - Verna Aardema, children's author
- July 21 - Marshall McLuhan - author (+ 1980)
- November 19 - Mary Elizabeth Counselman - American author and poet (+ 1995)
- December 11 - Naguib Mahfouz, Nobel prize-winning Egyptian novelist.
- December 25 - Noel Langley, screenwriter