No. 169 Squadron RAF was formed at Twinwood Farm, on June 15, 1942 as a tactical reconnaissance squadron equipped with North American Mustangs. The squadron moved to Duxford in December 1942 and began coastal reconnaissance and ground attack missions. The squadron disbanded at Middle Wallop on September 30, 1943, only to reform again the following day as a Mosquito squadron at Ayr.
In December 1943 the squadron joined No. 100 Group at Little Snoring. The squadron re-equipped with Mosquito II night fighters in January 1944 and commenced night intruder operations against German night fighters. The squadron disbanded on August 10, 1945 at Great Massingham.