The year 1684 in literature involved some significant events.
- John Banks' historical play The Island Queens, or the Death of Mary Queen of Scotland is banned from the stage; it is produced as The Albion Queens twenty years later (1704).
- Pierre Bayle begins his journal of literary criticism, Nouvelles de la république des lettres.
- English novelist and dramatist Mary Griffith marries merchant George Pix.
- John Horne - Fortune's Task, or the Fickle Fair One
- John Lacy - Sir Hercules Buffoon
- Simon Neale - The Mistaken Beauty (adapted from Corneille)
- Edward Ravenscroft - Dame Dobson, or the Cunning Woman
- Thomas Southerne - The Disappointment, or the Mother of Fashion