was a common year starting on Sunday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar
Events of 1491
- February 20 — The "Comet of 1491" comes 873,784 miles away from earth, the closest ever recorded.
- May 3 — Kongo monarch Nkuwu Nzinga is baptised by Portuguese missionaries, adopting the baptismal name of João I.
- November 16 — An auto de fe, held in Brasero de la Dehesa outside of Ávila, concludes the case of the Holy Child of La Guardia with the execution of several Jewish and converso suspects.
- November 25 — The siege of Granada, last stronghold of the Moors in Spain, begins.
- December 6 — King Charles VIII of France marries Anne of Brittany, forcing her to break her marriage with Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor, thus incorporating Brittany into the kingdom of France.