The 13th (Western) Division
was one of the Kitchener's Army divisions
raised from volunteers by Lord Kitchener
. It fought at Gallipoli
and in Mesopotamia
(including the capture of Baghdad
) and Persia
during the First World War
The 13th Division had landed at Anzac
on the Gallipoli peninsula in July 1915
in preparation for the August Offensive
that was launched on August 6
. Initially in reserve to the main breakout from Anzac by units of the New Zealand and Australian Division
, the 38th and 39th Brigades were sent in as reinforcements as the attack stalled.
The 7th Gloucesters and the 8th Welch pioneers were sent to support the Wellington battalion of the New Zealand Infantry Brigade when it made the decisive assault on Chunuk Bair on the morning of August 8.
Battalions of the division formed the core of the force (known as "Baldwin's Brigade" after the commander, Brigadier General Anthony Baldwin) to capture Hill Q on August 9 but were not in position in time and so spent the day encamped on a small plateau beneath Chunuk Bair known as "The Farm". When the Turks counter-attacked on the morning of August 10 the division's troops on Chunuk Bair and at The Farm, about 3000 men, were wiped out.
Division moved to Helles? Withdrawn from Gallipoli in January 1916. Sent to Mesopotamia in February 1916.
The division consisted of the following brigades
: 38th Brigade
- 6th Battalion, the King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
- 6th Battalion, the East Lancashire Regiment
- 6th Battalion, the Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment)
- 6th Battalion, the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 39th Brigade :
- 9th Battalion, the Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- 7th Battalion, the Gloucestershire Regiment
- 9th Battalion, the Worcestershire Regiment
- 7th Battalion, the Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment) 40th Brigade :
- 8th Battalion, the Cheshire Regiment
- 8th Battalion, the Royal Welch Fusiliers
- 4th Battalion, the South Wales Borderers
- 5th Battalion, the Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire Regiment) Pioneers :
- 8th Battalion, the Welch Regiment