During the Second World War, it served as the reconnaissance regiment of the 1st Infantry Division in the Battle of France, and with 27th Armoured Brigade (later transferred to 8th Armoured Brigade) in the Battle of Normandy, where it was equipped with Sherman DD tanks.
The regiment were the first to introduce Armoured Fighting Vehicles proper to Northern Ireland, with the introduction of the CVR(W) Fox armoured car in 1977.
After this tour, the regiment was stationed at Wimbish (Saffron Walden) equipped with the Fox until 1982, when they were stationed in the North-West German town of Herford, becoming part of 1st British Corps (1BR). Here they were equipped with CVR(T), Scimitar, Spartan, and Sultan and in 1983 were re-equipped with the LRATGW system, Swingfire which was vehicle mounted on CVR(T) Striker. During this period, in 1985, the regiment posted a composite squadron (B Squadron) back at HMP Maze as part of the roulement tours of the time.
In December 1986, the regiment returned to the United Kingdom, to the Hampshire garrison of Tidworth, where they formed part of the AMF(L) force. From here the regiment also posted three squadrons on UN peace-keeping tours to Cyprus in 1987, 1989 and 1990.
The regiment's final posting was as the Corps Reconnaissance Regiment, again as part of 1(BR) Corps in the German Town of Wolfenbuttel, close to what used to be the inner-German border with East Germany.
Their motto remains Viret et aertenum - May Their Name Flourish Forever, and Pro rege, Pro lege, Pro patria conamour - For King, For Justice, for Country we fight.
The Second World War: Dyle, Withdrawal to Escaut, Ypres-Comines Canal, Normandy Landing, Breville, Caen, Bourguébus Ridge, Mont Pincon, St. Pierre La Vielle, Geilenkirchen, Roer, Rhineland, Waal Flats, Goch, Rhine, Bremen, North-West Europe 1940 '44-45