was a common year starting on Thursday
(link will display full calendar) of the Julian calendar
Events of 1394
- September 17 - King Charles VI of France orders the expulsion of all Jews from France.
- September 28 - Pope Benedict XIII succeeds Pope Clement VII.
- Battle of Karanovasa - Wallachia (now southern Romania) resists an invasion by the Ottomans and their Serb and Bulgarian vassals.
- The Ottomans begin an eight-year siege of Constantinople in the Byzantine Empire.
- The Anadoluhisarı fortress is built by the Ottomans to defend themselves during the siege.
- Ashikaga Yoshimitsu retires as shogun of Japan and is succeeded by his son, Ashikaga Yoshimochi.
- The capital city of the Joseon Dynasty in present-day Korea is moved from Gaegyeong (now Gaeseong) to Hanseong (now Seoul).
- After the death of Sultan Mahmud II, civil war breaks out in the Delhi Sultanate, splitting the state between east and west.
- Battle of Ros-mic-Triuin: The Kingdom of Leinster, led by King Art mac Art MacMurrough-Kavanagh, defeats an invading army from England, led by King Richard II of England and Roger Mortimer, 4th Earl of March.
- Ştefan I succeeds Roman I as Prince of Moldavia (now Moldova and eastern Romania).
- Abu Zayyan II succeeds his brother, Abul Hadjdjadj I, as ruler of the Abdalwadid dynasty in present-day eastern Algeria.
- Yûsuf I succeeds Abd ar-Rahmân II as ruler of the Ziyanid Dynasty in present-day western Algeria.
- The Ottomans conquer Thessaly (now eastern Greece).
- Abd al-Aziz II succeeds Abu al-Abbas Ahmad II as ruler of the Hafsid dynasty in present-day Tunisia.
- Richard II of England grants Geoffrey Chaucer 20 pounds a year for life for his services as a diplomat and Clerk of The King's Works.
- The Allgäuer Brauhaus brewery is founded in present-day Germany.
- The Hongwu Emperor of the Ming Dynasty in China orders the Ministry of Public Works to issue a public notice that every 100 households in the lijia system are to set aside 2 mu (1,390 m2) of land for planting mulberry and jujube trees.