|Laid down:||6 May 1943|
|Launched:||17 June 1943|
|Commissioned:||17 November 1943|
|Decommissioned:||12 July 1945|
|Struck:||14 January 1953|
|Displacement:||1,430 tons (light)|
2,415 tons (full)
|Length:||303 ft 11 in (92.6 m)|
|Beam:||37 ft 6 in (11.4 m)|
|Draft:||13 ft 8 in (4.1 m)|
2 × 5,500 SHP turbines
|Speed:||20 knots (37 km/h)|
|Armament:||3 × 3 in/50 AA guns (3x1)|
4 × 40mm guns (2x2)
9 × 20mm (9x1)
1 × Hedgehog projector
8 × Y-gun depth charge projectors
2 × depth charge racks
USS Coronado (PF-38), a Tacoma-class patrol frigate, was the first ship of the United States Navy named for Coronado, California, a city adjacent to Naval Air Station North Island in San Diego, California.
Her keel was laid down by the Consolidated Steel Corporation of Wilmington, California, under a Maritime Commission contract (MC Type T. S2-S2-AQ1). She was originally authorized as a gunboat, being designated PG-146, but was redesignated as a Patrol Frigate (PF-38) on 15 April 1943. She was launched on 17 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. J. R. Crutchfield, and commissioned on 17 November 1943 with Lieutenant Commander N. W. Sprow, United States Coast Guard, in command.
Coronado sailed from San Diego, California, on 8 February 1944 for convoy escort duty to Nouméa and Cairns, Australia, en route to New Guinea, arriving there on 25 March. After escorting troop and cargo transports to Manus to support the landings there, she returned to the New Guinea area for the operations in the western part of that island, taking part in the landings on Biak from 28 May to 17 June, at Cape Sansapor from 15 August to 18 August, and on Morotai on 15 September.
She sailed from Humboldt Bay on 10 October 1944 to join in the Leyte operation, and served on escort and patrol duty between Leyte and New Guinea until 15 December. After overhaul at Boston, Massachusetts, and refresher training in Casco Bay, Coronado sailed for Seattle, Washington, arriving there on 26 April 1945. She got underway for Alaska on 7 June, and on 25 June at Cold Bay, Alaska, received four Soviet officers and 45 men aboard for training.
Coronado was decommissioned 12 July 1945 at Cold Bay, and transferred to the Soviet Union under Lend-Lease. Returned to the United States at Yokosuka on 16 October 1949, Coronado was placed in reserve there until 14 January 1953 when she was transferred to Japan under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program.