The community of Lixfeld has a history stretching back at least to the Middle Ages. It was mentioned in the Codex Eberhardi, a compilation by a monk in Fulda in the twelfth century, and the mention was attested to by a later document, dating from 1238. This was Lixfeld's first documentary mention.
At that time, the village was also known as Lixfeld, but it has undergone several name changes over the centuries, having been known as Lykisvelt or Litzfeld, but now once again Lixfeld.
Lixfeld was part of the Wittengestein landholdings. Digs on the Kirchberg have revealed that sometime in the 9th or 10th century, a castle with a tower was built in the glen overlooking the old road. Lixfeld was also one of the oldest seats of an early mediaeval court of law and enjoyed something of a heyday at that time. The local Imperial count moved into the castle and held court under a great linden tree with the local freemen. The castle's masters also forced merchants using the road down below to pay tolls. Charcoal works were set up in the forests, and in the dales, bloomeries and smithies were busy smelting and working iron.
In 1238, the court was made a Zent (≈soke) of the Battenberg Counts, who then sold it to the Archbishop's Estate of Mainz. As of 1246, the von Lixfelds and the Dörings owned the court as joint inheritors.
In 1321-23, the castle was remodelled for church purposes. A "pastor von Lykisuelt" was first mentioned in 1334 and a parish church in 1358. The church was under the Deaconate of Breidenbach and was under the patronage of the von Hohenfels and Döring families.
The lion refers to the early Hessian lordliness, and the three stars stand for the three constituent communities within Angelburg.