is a person who catches and collects, studies, or simply observes (see butterfly watching
, members of an order
and the three superfamilies of butterflies
, skipper butterflies
, and moth-butterflies
- Jean-Baptiste Boisduval
- Bernard d'Abrera
- Robert Denno (1946–2008)
- Henry Doubleday
- Edmund Brisco Ford
- Frederick William Frohawk
- Walter Gieseking
- Frederick DuCane Godman
- William Jacob Holland, the author of The Moth Book (1903)
- Johann Siegfried Hufnagel
- Julian Jumalon
- The father, Ben, in the TV series Butterflies
- The character Red Jack, who claimed to be both Jack the Ripper and God, in the comic book Doom Patrol
- The character Judge Holden in Cormac McCarthy's novel Blood Meridian.
- Stein in Lord Jim
- Ada in Vladimir Nabokov's "ada, or ardor: a family chronicle", has dreams as a young girl of being a lepidopterist on the fictional planet 'anti-terra'
- The character Freddie Glegg in the movie The Collector (1965), directed by William Wyler and based on the novel by John Fowles.
- The character of 'M' from the James Bond film series is revealed to be a lepidopterist, as evidenced in the film On Her Majesty's Secret Service. This can be seen when James Bond visits M at his country estate, upon which 007 finds the latter working with a specimen box.
- Jack Mort, from Stephen King's: The Dark Tower II
- Buffalo Bill, from Silence of the Lambs (Film)
- The Monarch, principal antagonist from the television series The Venture Bros.
- "Mr. Doe" & "Mr. Cardholder", two O.S.I. agents who intend to kill The Monarch (see above) in "The Lepidopterists," an episode from the third season of The Venture Bros.