Blessed Mother Teresa
of Calcutta has been memorialized throughout the world in honor of her selflessness and unswerving devotion to the poor. During her lifetime this commemorization often took the form of awards and honorary degrees bestowed upon her. She has also been memorizalized through museums and dedications of churches, roads and other structures.
Memorial Museum of Mother Teresa
A memorial room (museum) was opened in the Feudal Tower in Skopje, a building in which she used to play as a child. The museum has a significant selection of objects from Mother Teresa's life in Skopje and relics from her later life. In the Memorial room there is a model of her family home, made by the artist Vojo Georgievski.
Next to the Memorial room, there is an area with the image of Mother Teresa and her prayer as well as a memorial park and a fountain.
Memorial plaque where Mother Teresa's home stood
Just at the edge of Skopje's city mall is the place where the house of Mother Teresa used to stand. The memorial plaque was dedicated in March of 1998 and it reads: "On this place was the house where Gondza Bojadziu - Mother Teresa - was born on 26 August 1910". Her message to the world is also inscribed: "The world is not hungry for bread, but for love."
Mother Teresa in Albania
Mother Teresa in Territory of Kosovo
The main street in Kosovo
's capital Pristina
is called Mother Teresa Street (Rruga Nëna Terezë)
Honorary degree in India
- In 1998 a musical tribute album was compiled and released by Lion Communications (Polygram Records). The album featured artists from around the world paying tribute to Mother Theresa and was called "Mother, We'll Miss You". Some of the artists included on the CD were Latino Grammy legend Jose Feliciano and famed black gospel group Walt Whitman and the Soul Children of Chicago. The album was produced by Scottish singer Dave Kelly, who also wrote and performed the title track. Over fifty major American newspapers, such as the Boston Globe and the Philadelphia Inquirer, featured stories on the release of the tribute album and also took this opportunity to honor the life and work of Mother Theresa.
Parishes with Mother Teresa as patroness
- Mother Teresa parish, Dakota Dunes, SD, USA - 1 September 1999
- Blessed Teresa of Calcutta parish, Woodinville, WA, USA - 1 July 2004
- Blessed Teresa of Calcutta parish, Ferguson, MO, USA - 1 July 2005
- Blessed Teresa of Calcutta parish, North Lake, WI, USA - 1 July 2005
- Blessed Teresa of Calcutta parish, Limerick, PA, USA - 1 July 2006
- Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Parish, Halifax, NS, Canada