There are many Spencer families
, comprising all individuals with the surname Spencer
. The below are the Spencer family descended in the male line from a certain Henry Spencer (died c.
1478), male-line ancestor of the Earls of Sunderland
, the later Dukes of Marlborough
, the Earls Spencer
and Lady Diana Spencer
, later the Princess of Wales.
Members of the family
Earls of Sunderland
Dukes of Marlborough
- John Spencer, 1st Earl Spencer (1734–1783), a grandson of the 3rd Earl of Sunderland through his youngest son
- George John Spencer, 2nd Earl Spencer (1758–1834), politician
- John Charles Spencer, 3rd Earl Spencer (1782–1845), better known as Lord Althorp, politician
- Frederick Spencer, 4th Earl Spencer (1798–1857)
- John Poyntz Spencer, 5th Earl Spencer (1835–1910), politician
- Charles Robert Spencer, 6th Earl Spencer (1857–1922)
- Albert Edward John Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer (1892–1975)
- (Edward) John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer (1924–1992), father of Diana, Princess of Wales
- Charles Edward Maurice Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer (b.1964), brother of Diana, Princess of Wales
Non-Spencer descendants of the family
The following individuals are not Spencers, but are also descended from the same Henry Spencer via one or more lines of descent.
It has been claimed that several well known authors such as Jane Austen and George Orwell are descendants of the same family, but evidence for this is limited.
Marriage into the family
- Sir Anthony Eden (Prime minister). Married the niece of his prime ministerial predecessor, Winston Churchill.
- Charles, Prince of Wales. Married Lady Diana Spencer, daughter of the 8th Earl Spencer.