) was a common year starting on Monday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar
Events of 1526
January - June
- January 14 - Treaty of Madrid: Peace is declared between Francis I of France and Charles V. Francis agrees to cede Burgundy to Charles, and abandons all claims to Flanders, Artois, Naples, and Milan.
- April 21 - First battle of Panipat: Babur becomes Moghul (or Mughal) emperor of India, captures Delhi, and invades northern India, beginning the Mughal Empire, which lasts until 1857.
- May 22 - Francis repudiates the Treaty of Madrid and forms the League of Cognac against Charles, including the Pope, Milan, Venice, and Florence.
- May 24 - The Transit of Venus occurs, the last one before optical filters allowed astronomers to observe them.
- June 9 - Emperor Go-Nara ascends to the throne of Japan.
July - December
- See also :Category: 1526 births.
- See also :Category: 1526 deaths.