- For the comic book, see 52 (comic book).
was a leap year starting on Saturday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar
- A Roman law prohibits the execution of old and crippled slaves.
- Ananias, a high priest in Jerusalem, is sent to Rome after being accused of violence.
- Barea Soranus is consul suffectus in Rome.
- Pliny the Elder writes his account of the German wars.
- Tiridatus I, brother of Vologese I, comes to power in Armenia as an adversary of the Romans.
- In Britain, governor Publius Ostorius Scapula dies while campaigning against the Silures of south Wales. His replacement is Aulus Didius Gallus, who quells the rebellion and consolidates the gains the Romans have so far made, but does not seek new ones.