Archeological findings from Donja Kustošija show evidence of early stone age settlements on this area, some 35.000 years ago. There are even more artifacts from Roman period, including Roman road from mountain Medvednica to river Sava via this area.
Črnomerec was first mentioned as Village Černomerci near Chapel of Holy Spirit in 14th century, as the biggest village near city (of Zagreb). This ancient Chapel of Holy Spirit was abandoned after Jesuit order was dismissed (1773). It was destroyed in 1810 when lightning struck hit it while used as ammunition depot for nearby army barracks.
For centuries the Črnomerec Stream was border of Zagreb city area, with malta (toll gate) on it. All vehicles entering the city area were due to pay maltarina.
Črnomerec city district covers much wider area than former village, incorporating also old urbanized villages of Vrhovec, Jelenovec, Kustošija, Fraterščica, Čukovići, and others. Positioned on the very end of historic Zagreb, according to urban regulation plans from 1865, 1887 and 1919 Črnomerec was meant to serve as industrial and army part of the city. Therefore number of factories and army barracks were built there, together with substandard suburban housing.
The following factories are positioned in Črnomerec:
Croatian Ministry of Environmental Protection, Physical Planning and Construction and Ministry of Interior have seats in Črnomerec.
The new chapel was built on the place of ancient Chapel of Saint Spirit in 1832, as well as Church of Saint Anthony of Padua with monastery.
The first railway station in Zagreb, initially called South Station, than Sava Station, now West Railway Station (Zapadni kolodvor) was built in 1862.
In the area of Sisters of Charity Hospital in Vinogradska Street there is the Chapel of Sacred Heart, built in 1896. It was closed between 1949 and 1992 by communist government decree.
Wealthy Pongratz family built in Mikulići a unique summer house in Romanesque Revival style in 1868.
From end of the 19th century Črnomerec was the main location for army barracks in Zagreb: Domobranska, Vozarska, Bataljunska, Topnička, Rudolfova. Although still standing, most all of them eventually got another functions - as factories, schools, ministries, courts. The most famous, Rudolf barracks (Rudolfova vojarna), built in 1888, is today under protection as monument of architecture.
In 2006 Zagreb City Council decided that, on the newly named Franjo Tuđman Square, a monumental statue of the first Croatian president will be erected.