is a municipality in the county of Buskerud
The parish of Aal was established as a municipality January 1, 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). Hol was separated from Ål in 1877.
form of the name was Áll
. The name is identical with the word áll
m 'ditch, gully'.
Until 1921 the name was written "Aal".
The coat-of-arms is from modern times (1984). The figure is taken from an old and common pattern used in hand-woven tapestries of the district.
Torpo stave church (built around 1190 - 1200) located in Torpo
What to see
is built around the old Leksvol farm, and is very typical for the area. The buildings go back to the 17th century. In later years the museum have made additional installments, Øvre tunet
were a stone cottage is reconstructed, similar to those used in the mountain transhumance